Tuesday, April 9, 2013

MoMA; Investigating Abstraction

Alfred Stieglitz, A sequence of ten cloud photographs, 1922
This photograph does not look like a kindergartener's work. It is obvious everyone can take photographs. However, to get this photograph, a person has to be focused, fast, and experienced. Likewise painters, photographer is an artist, too. They have to have extraordinary talent of seeing through subjects. Anyway, the editing is well done, either. The artist made the object warmer, softer, and more dramatic than reality. Finding an appropriate color (dark yellow, brown, and yellowy gray) for the object is the first step, because color mixing has to show good unity of color to make similar texture of object (cloud) in reality. The brighter color behind the darkness represents the light from moon, and to be realistic the cloud is dense and darker, even though it's in front, because of the background.


Gino Severini: Danseuse, 1915
I guess this is a non-objective abstraction, may be it does, but the props does not look like an 'object' in reality. Anyway, naturally transforming color makes it an expert art work. I think the artist wants to show the Earth on a 2 dimensional vision. Such as, yellow triangle: desert or mountain, blue: wave or sea, green: hill or field, and etc. If this work has been colored with 'a' color, it would look awkward and unnatural.


Alvin Langdon Coburn, Photograph, 1916-17


Contra-construction, 1923, Theo Van Does
This work makes me think about kitchen, a nice and colorful one. Three major colors with white and black are united well.

Kseniia Ender, Kompositiia (composition), 1918
This painting is what i have chosen for my project. Its precise style is making the painting much better. However, I would not use that style, because i think it would take too much time. Using dots looks helpful to unify different colors and create nice abstraction work. And the most importantly, white sillhouette looks like a bird. And I thought it would be great if I use this bird to show the Hunger game's logo (which i like). Therefore, I decide to use style what Nancy has used before on the portrait unit = sponge. I think the use of sponge would make the project as a masterpiece. However, I was confused about how I will paint the whole painting. At the beginning, I have thought about: same style, or basic painting style, or active style. Anyway, the reason I chose this work is obviously the bird. The brightest color and strong character impressed me. I would paint him/her with red rather than white, because I want to symbolize a phoenix. And usually phoenix symbolizes immortality(?) and LIFE, and this is my concept for the project.

In addition, my project's name will be Mr.C between Baby B and old D.
It means life is a Choice between Birth and Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment